Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bathroom signage


The house I grew up in was once a dentist's office. So the back door (which is the only door New Englanders use) is actually two doors: one that opened into the house and one that opened into the dentist's office. This explains why the downstairs bathroom has a sign on it. The family didn't need to know what that door led to, the patients did.


So I have a soft spot in my heart for bathroom door signs in old houses. In our house, knowing which door is which is a good thing. We have a typical victorian split bath: bathing in one room, toilet in the other. Guests are not typically invited into the bathing room, but they often need the water closet. So I started a hunt for signs when we first moved in. Believe it or not, good-looking signs are hard to find! I would have loved to stumble upon some vintage plaques, but a twin pregnancy and little twin people are not conducive to antiquing. So I was delighted to find these signs on sale at Pottery Barn some months back. Are they perfect? No. Do I love them? Yes. I think they're adorable. I like that they're different and I think they're fun!

Just another thing we got done.

4 comments:

  1. (Doctor not dentist) Love the signs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought he was the doctor.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the signs too and was glad to see them up. They look a lot classier than our old "toilet" sign!

    (But for some reason, and maybe it's just me, the difference in them would drive me to distraction. I'd be screwing that bath one on like the other, holes or not!)

    ReplyDelete

 
;