Saturday, March 3, 2012

Spray paint mirror in WC

This project was much more of a nightmare than I expected. It turns out a roof in San Francisco is not an ideal location for spray paint projects. Who knew? Also, you should shut the door to your back patio when spray painting because the fumes like to go inside where it's warm.

I'm not generally a big fan of spray paint because it's such nasty, toxic stuff. But I broke a number of my personal rules when I discovered how expensive interesting mirrors are to buy (new or used!). I really wanted to find a mirror with an unusual, curvy frame for this space, but I was never able to find one with a price tag I could justify. Who knows, that search may continue.

My sister and I were able to find this one at IKEA way back when. I liked it, but didn't love the silvery paint. It looked wrong with all the gleaming polished nickel accents in the water closet. So I promised myself I would spray paint it a nice, glossy black. Back up to my dislike for spray paint and you might see why I put this particular project off for nearly a year. But, I got 'er done as part of the February push and I think she looks great! I think the round mirror is a nice contrast to all the geometric lines from the subway tiles and windows. Don't you?


5 comments:

  1. I like it! Nice job with the paint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember buying that mirror! It looks way better in black than the special silver. Like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo, so fancy. Can you come to my house and make it look pretty after you done with yours? Or even before you're done with yours?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It sort of looks like one of those solid rubber tires on a tricycle. Just me?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The mirror came out really well. The bright persimmon bathrooms looks much better in person even, than in photos!

    ReplyDelete

 
;